Thursday, September 18, 2014

2 little stories

Lies is right, of course - writing just a little bit is better than nothing. Even when it is just a thought or doubt, an experience, an idea, or a story. Today I've got two little stories to tell.

As I was going home from a meeting the other night, I was on my roller skates on the bike path. As it usually happens, bikes passing me just ring their bell, and I move to the side, so they can easily pass. One guy surprised me though - not with the bell, but by saying "thank you!" as he passed me. I couldn't help smiling - it was so unnecessary to say anything, yet somehow it felt good to be politely greeted there, on the road, as the day came to an end. As I was catching up on him at the next traffic light, I thought I would thank him back, for passing easily and for making me smile. However, he moved on before I could reach him. I will remember to genuinely greet and thank people as often as possible. :)

So as I was greeting the homeless man with the cowboy hat who is selling magazines outside my supermarket, he was smiled somewhat stiffly. Then, as he pointed to his teeth, I realised he wanted me to pay some special attention, so I can a little closer, smiling back at him. Queitly he said "... new teeth..." and smiled a liiitle more, so that I could see his flawless new set of teeth. He was so happy and proud, that was easy to tell - the smile reached all the way up to his eyes! We agreed that we could now both smile to the world, and then I went home, with a warm and grateful feeling.


No comments:

Post a Comment